Register  |   | 
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Smungung

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 470
Reply with quote  #1 
I think I just figured out a way to ship cuttings much cheaper. If you remember my thread cuttings for sale 3 dollars and free shipping. One of the packages has apparently arrived as of today will notify you when all three packages are successfully sent. If the cuttings made it there in good condition I will reveal how they were shipped.To whom ever bought cuttings please don't how they were shipped because if another package doesn't arrive I don't want misinformation being spread. How many of you guys are actually interested in knowing what I did?
__________________
Matthew Mei Zone 6A Secaucus, New Jersey
Aquarist,Gardener,Fisherman
Wish list: anything cold hardy
Growing: Dominck's, Chicago Hardy, Syrian Long, Italian Honey, Palmero Red, Alma
Chapman

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 425
Reply with quote  #2 
I'd like to hear about it.
__________________
South Louisiana, Zone 9a
greenfig

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 3,254
Reply with quote  #3 
Please share
__________________
Igor (not James!). Wish list: Calderona. USDA z 10a, SoCal
livetaswim06

Registered:
Posts: 365
Reply with quote  #4 
Only way i can think is to use envelopes and ship it first class. I don't know why that would be such a special way to ship though...
__________________
-Anton
Zone: 9b, Santa Clarita Valley, CA
Growing: Panache Tiger, VdB, Burbank & Vineland, Falls Gold, Strawberry Verte, Atreano, Fico Preto, El Molino, Very Unk. Mission
tsparozi

Registered:
Posts: 813
Reply with quote  #5 
I hope "the way" is not some silly or basically illegal scam similar to where you send the package with insufficient postage with the expectation that the Postal Service will deliver it anyway and then may or may not choose to ask for additional postage on delivery. I think we already saw a thread on something like this. I would hate to think this method is based on what used to be referred to as "sticking it to the man"...
Smungung

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 470
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsparozi
I hope "the way" is not some silly or basically illegal scam similar to where you send the package with insufficient postage with the expectation that the Postal Service will deliver it anyway and then may or may not choose to ask for additional postage on delivery. I think we already saw a thread on something like this. I would hate to think this method is based on what used to be referred to as "sticking it to the man"...


I would absolutely never do that it will conform to all laws and regulations put forth by the post office.

__________________
Matthew Mei Zone 6A Secaucus, New Jersey
Aquarist,Gardener,Fisherman
Wish list: anything cold hardy
Growing: Dominck's, Chicago Hardy, Syrian Long, Italian Honey, Palmero Red, Alma
Smungung

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 470
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by livetaswim06
Only way i can think is to use envelopes and ship it first class. I don't know why that would be such a special way to ship though...


The thing with that is different post offices may have employees that calculate the prices wrong so there could be some mixed prices along with not having a set price because its based on weight. and honestly the post office is a pain to go to sometimes.

__________________
Matthew Mei Zone 6A Secaucus, New Jersey
Aquarist,Gardener,Fisherman
Wish list: anything cold hardy
Growing: Dominck's, Chicago Hardy, Syrian Long, Italian Honey, Palmero Red, Alma
livetaswim06

Registered:
Posts: 365
Reply with quote  #8 
Why can't you just tell us what you did? I think whether it fails or not it would still be interesting to know. 
__________________
-Anton
Zone: 9b, Santa Clarita Valley, CA
Growing: Panache Tiger, VdB, Burbank & Vineland, Falls Gold, Strawberry Verte, Atreano, Fico Preto, El Molino, Very Unk. Mission
Smungung

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 470
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by livetaswim06
Why can't you just tell us what you did? I think whether it fails or not it would still be interesting to know. 


I will definitely tell no matter what its just I dont want to say it right now without knowing if it works or not because if a new person comes on they maybe inclined to try it and if it doesnt work they might not want to continue with the hobby.

__________________
Matthew Mei Zone 6A Secaucus, New Jersey
Aquarist,Gardener,Fisherman
Wish list: anything cold hardy
Growing: Dominck's, Chicago Hardy, Syrian Long, Italian Honey, Palmero Red, Alma
ricky

Registered:
Posts: 356
Reply with quote  #10 
Hi Mathew:
I live in Canada and know postal very well, There are 3+ rates for shipping products, One is parcel rate, which cost a lots more but with shorter delivery commitment with more option like tracing on line etc, There are other cheaper rate, It is letter mail rate with much lose delivery commitment, but a lot more cheaper, you are so lucky in USA enjoying cheaper parcel shipping rate, in Canada, Our cheapest parcel shipping rate start at $10+, but If I ship by letter mail rate, it costs $1 to 2,( Same commitment date), problem is that, If that careless operator, They put it at letter mail sorting machines, it will damage it,  of course, there are some other way for even cheaper shipping rate but we should not bust our postal system.

Hi Joe, If you see it, Please response, I have some Italian fig cuttings from my tree, It is 3 crop vareities,   I will ship it to you for Free....  ( It costs me $2 plus cost of package).



__________________
- BC, Canada, PNW Zone 8B, Heat zone 2/3, Windy area
- Wish list -  RdB, any good varieties for low heat cool summer PNW.


figpig_66

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 3,139
Reply with quote  #11 
Put in white envelope with stamp on it is the cheapest way. Just a guess
__________________
RICHIE BONI
HICKORY LOUISIANA ZONE 8B WARM HUMID
WINRERS ARE VERY MILD LOW 20'S BUT WARMS RIGHT UP DURING THE DAY. SUMMER IS EXTREMELY HOT & HUMID 100 degrees 100% humidity fig tree grow like crazy but some split from rain & humidity
Wish list. Col de dame blanc
Col de rimada
Lsu numbered figs
Tonycm

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 949
Reply with quote  #12 
What could possibly be cheaper than $2 or $3 for shipping cuttings? Are you trying to reinvent the wheel?
What's your secret recipe?

__________________
Zone 6a Sarver, PA 
angelad

Registered:
Posts: 120
Reply with quote  #13 
I agree with Ricky - you are so lucky having cheap postal rates in the United States.  In addition, your postal tracking is excellent!
__________________
Angela (Southern Ontario zone 6a
wishlist: I-258, Black Madeira, Florea. Brooklyn White.Kathleen Black, Smith, Improved Celeste
figpig_66

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 3,139
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonycm
What could possibly be cheaper than $2 or $3 for shipping cuttings? Are you trying to reinvent the wheel?
What's your secret recipe?

Stamps are cheaper 40 cents

__________________
RICHIE BONI
HICKORY LOUISIANA ZONE 8B WARM HUMID
WINRERS ARE VERY MILD LOW 20'S BUT WARMS RIGHT UP DURING THE DAY. SUMMER IS EXTREMELY HOT & HUMID 100 degrees 100% humidity fig tree grow like crazy but some split from rain & humidity
Wish list. Col de dame blanc
Col de rimada
Lsu numbered figs
figpig_66

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 3,139
Reply with quote  #15 
Stamps are 40 cents.
__________________
RICHIE BONI
HICKORY LOUISIANA ZONE 8B WARM HUMID
WINRERS ARE VERY MILD LOW 20'S BUT WARMS RIGHT UP DURING THE DAY. SUMMER IS EXTREMELY HOT & HUMID 100 degrees 100% humidity fig tree grow like crazy but some split from rain & humidity
Wish list. Col de dame blanc
Col de rimada
Lsu numbered figs
Tonycm

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 949
Reply with quote  #16 
Not being mean Richie but the cost to mail a 1 ounce letter is 49 cents. I'm sure the price will increase more soon enough though.
__________________
Zone 6a Sarver, PA 
figpig_66

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 3,139
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonycm
Not being mean Richie but the cost to mail a 1 ounce letter is 49 cents. I'm sure the price will increase more soon enough though.

Lol. I was just guessing. I shouldn't be a spoiler anyway. ;-))
But my next guess is media mail. Lol. Really curious now. Hard to beat two dollers to mail cuttings.

__________________
RICHIE BONI
HICKORY LOUISIANA ZONE 8B WARM HUMID
WINRERS ARE VERY MILD LOW 20'S BUT WARMS RIGHT UP DURING THE DAY. SUMMER IS EXTREMELY HOT & HUMID 100 degrees 100% humidity fig tree grow like crazy but some split from rain & humidity
Wish list. Col de dame blanc
Col de rimada
Lsu numbered figs
livetaswim06

Registered:
Posts: 365
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by figpig_66

Lol. I was just guessing. I shouldn't be a spoiler anyway. ;-))
But my next guess is media mail. Lol. Really curious now. Hard to beat two dollers to mail cuttings.


Media mail would be against post office regulations. Per their rules all the package contents must be media including books, cds, dvds, printed music or sound recordings. I guess you could rip the insides of a vhs out and send it in the casing. That would still be against regulations.

__________________
-Anton
Zone: 9b, Santa Clarita Valley, CA
Growing: Panache Tiger, VdB, Burbank & Vineland, Falls Gold, Strawberry Verte, Atreano, Fico Preto, El Molino, Very Unk. Mission
Timo

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 165
Reply with quote  #19 

I know this is not the right way to do, but this is how you could send cuttings for free:

1. Do the cuttings in an envelope
2. DON'T put stamps on the envelope
3. Write the name of the addressee where you normally write the name of the sender
4. Write your name where you normally write the name of the addressee

After you have posted the envelope, it will return to the "sender" because there are no stamps on it.... Anyone tried this? :-)


__________________
Belgium
Zone 8b (cool summers, mild winters)
Courtney

Registered:
Posts: 43
Reply with quote  #20 
Oh my, Pay the postage! They don't make a lot of $ already. Practice kindness and respect their jobs.
greenfig

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 3,254
Reply with quote  #21 
So how many times you can that?
I bet not more than once if you are lucky.
This is not the way you want to ship anything regularly.

__________________
Igor (not James!). Wish list: Calderona. USDA z 10a, SoCal
livetaswim06

Registered:
Posts: 365
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo

I know this is not the right way to do, but this is how you could send cuttings for free:

1. Do the cuttings in an envelope
2. DON'T put stamps on the envelope
3. Write the name of the addressee where you normally write the name of the sender
4. Write your name where you normally write the name of the addressee

After you have posted the envelope, it will return to the "sender" because there are no stamps on it.... Anyone tried this? :-)



I'd go out on a limb and say that committing fraud against a US govt. agency is not a good plan... Furthermore don't you think if they pick up a package in say Kansas and the return address is in California that would be a little obvious? 

__________________
-Anton
Zone: 9b, Santa Clarita Valley, CA
Growing: Panache Tiger, VdB, Burbank & Vineland, Falls Gold, Strawberry Verte, Atreano, Fico Preto, El Molino, Very Unk. Mission
tsparozi

Registered:
Posts: 813
Reply with quote  #23 
As I previously stated, working out a scam to my advantage is not the way that I want to 'save' money.... I am not into doing things illegally just so I can say that I beat them at their own game... At the end of the day, we are all living in the same country and our taxes and fees have to pay the freight. I understand that there is waste and corruption and all that and I want to eliminate waste and corruption as much as can be done however me beating the system ends up costing all of us more and is not the right way to do things... Just saying... many will call me stupid but I don't consider larceny a way of life....

Folks, I am not suggesting that @Smungung has any such scam or fraud in mind; perhaps he has really come up with a completely legal and straightforward way to save money... I am eager to hear it....
livetaswim06

Registered:
Posts: 365
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsparozi
As I previously stated, working out a scam to my advantage is not the way that I want to 'save' money.... I am not into doing things illegally just so I can say that I beat them at their own game... At the end of the day, we are all living in the same country and our taxes and fees have to pay the freight. I understand that there is waste and corruption and all that and I want to eliminate waste and corruption as much as can be done however me beating the system ends up costing all of us more and is not the right way to do things... Just saying... many will call me stupid but I don't consider larceny a way of life....

Folks, I am not suggesting that @Smungung has any such scam or fraud in mind; perhaps he has really come up with a completely legal and straightforward way to save money... I am eager to hear it....


When you say you have an amazing, unheard of method of shipping so cheap that even $3 cuttings can turn you a profit, what else do you expect? He should have just waited and told everyone what he did after it worked. As of right now it sounds like something shady.

__________________
-Anton
Zone: 9b, Santa Clarita Valley, CA
Growing: Panache Tiger, VdB, Burbank & Vineland, Falls Gold, Strawberry Verte, Atreano, Fico Preto, El Molino, Very Unk. Mission
Timo

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 165
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:

I know this is not the right way to do, but this is how you could send cuttings for free:

1. Do the cuttings in an envelope
2. DON'T put stamps on the envelope
3. Write the name of the addressee where you normally write the name of the sender
4. Write your name where you normally write the name of the addressee

After you have posted the envelope, it will return to the "sender" because there are no stamps on it.

This trick was tested a couple of years ago in a TV program and in fact it worked. But I have never tried this and don't intend to. I prefer to pay for the shipment and want to be sure that the package arrives at it's destination. That said, our post service is expensive and not always reliable, but that's another story...

__________________
Belgium
Zone 8b (cool summers, mild winters)
arachyd

Registered:
Posts: 293
Reply with quote  #26 
If I got something mailed to me this way (reversing the addresses, no stamp) I'd never buy from that person again because they've already proven themselves willing to commit a fraud. I value honesty and good character more than any other human traits.
__________________
Wish list: Wells Sweep, Black Madeira, DC-2

Zone 7b
livetaswim06

Registered:
Posts: 365
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by arachyd
If I got something mailed to me this way (reversing the addresses, no stamp) I'd never buy from that person again because they've already proven themselves willing to commit a fraud. I value honesty and good character more than any other human traits.


I read about it and the post office will just make you pay for shipping to pick up your package. Doesn't save any money, is illegal and would really annoy your customers.

__________________
-Anton
Zone: 9b, Santa Clarita Valley, CA
Growing: Panache Tiger, VdB, Burbank & Vineland, Falls Gold, Strawberry Verte, Atreano, Fico Preto, El Molino, Very Unk. Mission
Smungung

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 470
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo

I know this is not the right way to do, but this is how you could send cuttings for free:

1. Do the cuttings in an envelope
2. DON'T put stamps on the envelope
3. Write the name of the addressee where you normally write the name of the sender
4. Write your name where you normally write the name of the addressee

After you have posted the envelope, it will return to the "sender" because there are no stamps on it.... Anyone tried this? :-)



Thats a federal offense I think No interest in doing that.

__________________
Matthew Mei Zone 6A Secaucus, New Jersey
Aquarist,Gardener,Fisherman
Wish list: anything cold hardy
Growing: Dominck's, Chicago Hardy, Syrian Long, Italian Honey, Palmero Red, Alma
Smungung

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 470
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsparozi
As I previously stated, working out a scam to my advantage is not the way that I want to 'save' money.... I am not into doing things illegally just so I can say that I beat them at their own game... At the end of the day, we are all living in the same country and our taxes and fees have to pay the freight. I understand that there is waste and corruption and all that and I want to eliminate waste and corruption as much as can be done however me beating the system ends up costing all of us more and is not the right way to do things... Just saying... many will call me stupid but I don't consider larceny a way of life....

Folks, I am not suggesting that @Smungung has any such scam or fraud in mind; perhaps he has really come up with a completely legal and straightforward way to save money... I am eager to hear it....


absolutely no scam its legal and conforms to the rules and regulation set by the post office

__________________
Matthew Mei Zone 6A Secaucus, New Jersey
Aquarist,Gardener,Fisherman
Wish list: anything cold hardy
Growing: Dominck's, Chicago Hardy, Syrian Long, Italian Honey, Palmero Red, Alma
livetaswim06

Registered:
Posts: 365
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smungung


absolutely no scam its legal and conforms to the rules and regulation set by the post office


Just tell us what this method is with the disclaimer that it might not work...

__________________
-Anton
Zone: 9b, Santa Clarita Valley, CA
Growing: Panache Tiger, VdB, Burbank & Vineland, Falls Gold, Strawberry Verte, Atreano, Fico Preto, El Molino, Very Unk. Mission
bamafig

Registered:
Posts: 216
Reply with quote  #31 
wow....y'all lighten up on Timo!  he said it was'nt right, he was just throwing it out there.  We don't need sermons on fraud and abuse.
The kid has waited so long now that anything he says will be anti-climactic anyway.

__________________
zone 8
4 (local) Celeste, Papa John, LSU Purple, Green Ischia, Brunswick, white marseilles,  BT,
Panache, Deanna, LSU Black, O'Rourke, Chicago Hardy

Wish list:  VDB, RDB
Smungung

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 470
Reply with quote  #32 
Alright I'll post what I did in a bit 
__________________
Matthew Mei Zone 6A Secaucus, New Jersey
Aquarist,Gardener,Fisherman
Wish list: anything cold hardy
Growing: Dominck's, Chicago Hardy, Syrian Long, Italian Honey, Palmero Red, Alma
Smungung

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 470
Reply with quote  #33 
Okay so the way I did this was I mailed the cuttings as nonmachinable. Mail in regular paper envelops are sorted by a machine and the reason why you cant use them to ship items inside is because if the envelope is not less than 1/4th of an inch it jams the machine and then they wont send your mail and most likely return or charge the recipient. Non-macchinable stamps are made specifically to stop this from happening. They cost 70 cents or so as of right now and can be used on something no more than one ounce. When I mailed the cuttings as non-machinable I wrote in sharpie on the envelope on both sides *NON-MACHINABLE *HAND STAMP or HAND CANCEL either should work. I also used two regular forever stamps instead of one non-machinable as I didn't have any on hand. It's best not to use this method on expensive cuttings or ebay as there's no tracking. It can be used to send cuttings to newbies and get them into the hobby. It's not going to work for trees as it takes a bit of time so they probably wont survive. It is convenient because as long as it weighs less than an ounce you can put on the stamp and drop in the mailbox instead of having to wait at the post office or printing your own labels. The stamps is pictured below but from my understanding the non-machinable stamps come only with the butterfly pictures. 

I will update this thread and report on results as the packages are delivered so far 1/3 have been delivered but no word on how the cuttings look after transit yet as they're getting picked up later this week. So anyone that wants to try it try at your own risk. Thanks for reading, any questions feel free to ask ill try to answer as best I can. Also has anyone ever tried this before?

[pr16_069]



 

__________________
Matthew Mei Zone 6A Secaucus, New Jersey
Aquarist,Gardener,Fisherman
Wish list: anything cold hardy
Growing: Dominck's, Chicago Hardy, Syrian Long, Italian Honey, Palmero Red, Alma
Courtney

Registered:
Posts: 43
Reply with quote  #34 
*sighing*
Smungung

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 470
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney
*sighing*


Whats the displeasure about lol

__________________
Matthew Mei Zone 6A Secaucus, New Jersey
Aquarist,Gardener,Fisherman
Wish list: anything cold hardy
Growing: Dominck's, Chicago Hardy, Syrian Long, Italian Honey, Palmero Red, Alma
livetaswim06

Registered:
Posts: 365
Reply with quote  #36 
I am reading the USPS regulations. Per them the envelope is not allowed to be more than 1/4 inch thick for non-machinable. Their examples are pencils, pens, keys. I doubt a cutting would conform to that size. 

"
To be eligible for mailing at the price for letters, a piece must be:
  • Rectangular
  • At least 3-1/2 inches high x 5 inches long x 0.007 inch thick.
  • No more than 6-1/8 inches high x 11-1/2 inches long x 1/4 inch thick."

__________________
-Anton
Zone: 9b, Santa Clarita Valley, CA
Growing: Panache Tiger, VdB, Burbank & Vineland, Falls Gold, Strawberry Verte, Atreano, Fico Preto, El Molino, Very Unk. Mission
figpig_66

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 3,139
Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
Originally Posted by livetaswim06


Media mail would be against post office regulations. Per their rules all the package contents must be media including books, cds, dvds, printed music or sound recordings. I guess you could rip the insides of a vhs out and send it in the casing. That would still be against regulations.

Yea. Didnt think of that. Im out of guesses

__________________
RICHIE BONI
HICKORY LOUISIANA ZONE 8B WARM HUMID
WINRERS ARE VERY MILD LOW 20'S BUT WARMS RIGHT UP DURING THE DAY. SUMMER IS EXTREMELY HOT & HUMID 100 degrees 100% humidity fig tree grow like crazy but some split from rain & humidity
Wish list. Col de dame blanc
Col de rimada
Lsu numbered figs
tsparozi

Registered:
Posts: 813
Reply with quote  #38 
Um.... most folks prune cuttings so that they are 6 - 8 inches long and contain 3 or more nodes. In most cases, folks also try to send cuttings of 1/4 inch or thicker although many folks, myself included, have sent along thinner cuttings depending on availability and other factors. Assuming you can manage to get by the size restrictions as posted in the USPS regulations, how many cuttings of stated dimensions do you think you can send to someone that in total will make it under the 1 ounce limit....? Thank you for sharing and putting some thought into this and in no way am I being critical but honestly I suspect that this approach isn't going to save any figgers any appreciable money...
Smungung

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 470
Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by livetaswim06
I am reading the USPS regulations. Per them the envelope is not allowed to be more than 1/4 inch thick for non-machinable. Their examples are pencils, pens, keys. I doubt a cutting would conform to that size. 

"
To be eligible for mailing at the price for letters, a piece must be:
  • Rectangular
  • At least 3-1/2 inches high x 5 inches long x 0.007 inch thick.
  • No more than 6-1/8 inches high x 11-1/2 inches long x 1/4 inch thick."


those are the regulations for machinable non machinable hand canceled so theres no reason for a limit on thickness

__________________
Matthew Mei Zone 6A Secaucus, New Jersey
Aquarist,Gardener,Fisherman
Wish list: anything cold hardy
Growing: Dominck's, Chicago Hardy, Syrian Long, Italian Honey, Palmero Red, Alma
Smungung

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 470
Reply with quote  #40 
Quote:
Originally Posted by figpig_66
Yea. Didnt think of that. Im out of guesses


I posted what I did in case you missed it


__________________
Matthew Mei Zone 6A Secaucus, New Jersey
Aquarist,Gardener,Fisherman
Wish list: anything cold hardy
Growing: Dominck's, Chicago Hardy, Syrian Long, Italian Honey, Palmero Red, Alma
livetaswim06

Registered:
Posts: 365
Reply with quote  #41 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smungung


those are the regulations for machinable non machinable hand canceled so theres no reason for a limit on thickness


That's from the usps website. That includes non machinable

__________________
-Anton
Zone: 9b, Santa Clarita Valley, CA
Growing: Panache Tiger, VdB, Burbank & Vineland, Falls Gold, Strawberry Verte, Atreano, Fico Preto, El Molino, Very Unk. Mission
drew51

Registered:
Posts: 417
Reply with quote  #42 
Yeah that's interesting. I would use the special stamp, just to make sure, and write on the envelope. I used to work for the PO. For eight years anyway. Once I got a non-machinable letter and it said HAND CRUSH ONLY. I thought that was pretty good!
__________________
Drew
Zone 5b/6a Sterling Heights MI

Smungung

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 470
Reply with quote  #43 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsparozi
Um.... most folks prune cuttings so that they are 6 - 8 inches long and contain 3 or more nodes. In most cases, folks also try to send cuttings of 1/4 inch or thicker although many folks, myself included, have sent along thinner cuttings depending on availability and other factors. Assuming you can manage to get by the size restrictions as posted in the USPS regulations, how many cuttings of stated dimensions do you think you can send to someone that in total will make it under the 1 ounce limit....? Thank you for sharing and putting some thought into this and in no way am I being critical but honestly I suspect that this approach isn't going to save any figgers any appreciable money...


the cuttings can be thicker for nonmachinable but if theyre 1/4 i think you can send it as normal with one stamp. I was able to mail three medium sized cuttigns bit thicker than a pencil. 

__________________
Matthew Mei Zone 6A Secaucus, New Jersey
Aquarist,Gardener,Fisherman
Wish list: anything cold hardy
Growing: Dominck's, Chicago Hardy, Syrian Long, Italian Honey, Palmero Red, Alma
Smungung

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 470
Reply with quote  #44 
Quote:
Originally Posted by livetaswim06
That's from the usps website. That includes non machinable


It shouldn't include nonmachinable

__________________
Matthew Mei Zone 6A Secaucus, New Jersey
Aquarist,Gardener,Fisherman
Wish list: anything cold hardy
Growing: Dominck's, Chicago Hardy, Syrian Long, Italian Honey, Palmero Red, Alma
Smungung

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 470
Reply with quote  #45 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51
Yeah that's interesting. I would use the special stamp, just to make sure, and write on the envelope. I used to work for the PO. For eight years anyway. Once I got a non-machinable letter and it said HAND CRUSH ONLY. I thought that was pretty good!


I wonder if anyone else saw that and questioned it.

__________________
Matthew Mei Zone 6A Secaucus, New Jersey
Aquarist,Gardener,Fisherman
Wish list: anything cold hardy
Growing: Dominck's, Chicago Hardy, Syrian Long, Italian Honey, Palmero Red, Alma
Gr8Figs

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 212
Reply with quote  #46 
You could send fig scrolls by media mail...maybe with some pertinent Bible verse. :)

"

Luke 13:6-9King James Version (KJV)

He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none.

Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?

And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:

And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.

"

__________________
Barry Northeast Georgia 8a Wish List:Medium-Small Size,Dark Cold Hardy Figs

Low Temperature of 4F in 2015,17F in 2016,17F in 2017
Smungung

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 470
Reply with quote  #47 
the cuttings in the package that arrived has been received and they're in good condition so so far 33% success. not very good....
__________________
Matthew Mei Zone 6A Secaucus, New Jersey
Aquarist,Gardener,Fisherman
Wish list: anything cold hardy
Growing: Dominck's, Chicago Hardy, Syrian Long, Italian Honey, Palmero Red, Alma
NoelG_123

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 282
Reply with quote  #48 
The cheapest way by far to send a regular package USPS is telling the clerk you are sending "Educational Materials". I sent a package with books to my grand kids up in Alaska and it was going to cost $48.00. When I gasped, the clerk said, "What are you sending?"  I said "Books". She said if they are educational materials, it will cost you around $6.00.  And it was. I paid just over $6.00.  It was slow getting there though- 2 weeks. That was  the only draw back, because I packed in a few tangerines from grandpa's tree as well for a treat and to fill up wasted space in the box. But they arrived fine. 
__________________
"A fig by any other name, is a Newton."

Smungung

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 470
Reply with quote  #49 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelG_123
The cheapest way by far to send a regular package USPS is telling the clerk you are sending "Educational Materials". I sent a package with books to my grand kids up in Alaska and it was going to cost $48.00. When I gasped, the clerk said, "What are you sending?"  I said "Books". She said if they are educational materials, it will cost you around $6.00.  And it was. I paid just over $6.00.  It was slow getting there though- 2 weeks. That was  the only draw back, because I packed in a few tangerines from grandpa's tree as well for a treat and to fill up wasted space in the box. But they arrived fine. 
 

That's media mail sending cuttings that way would require something to disguise them as books or any other educational item.

__________________
Matthew Mei Zone 6A Secaucus, New Jersey
Aquarist,Gardener,Fisherman
Wish list: anything cold hardy
Growing: Dominck's, Chicago Hardy, Syrian Long, Italian Honey, Palmero Red, Alma
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.