Register  |   | 
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
lampo

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 2,376
Reply with quote  #1 
This season these figs are ripening around ten days ahead of time.These are Common Bebera Branca pollinated by
the fig wasp in early June. A heavy weight full of flavors  and syrup P1090168.jpg 
P1090170.jpg 
P1090175.jpg 
P1090184.jpg 

Francisco
Portugal

Fico

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 179
Reply with quote  #2 
Wonderful, like all the figs you've posted so far, these Bêbera look delicious!

Here there was for several days temps over 40/43°C, plus weeks over 35/38°C, and a severe drought wich lasts for months, so many of my figs are literally burned or cooked by the Sun, and even the trees are not in a good shape.

Lewi

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 428
Reply with quote  #3 
Wow, syrup....lampo that looks tremendous...will have to look up your other posts....


__________________
West Florida / Panhandle (Central time). Can get cold for figs...down to 12 F twice in last five years. Zone 8a, not counting the recent "upgrade"

Lewi = Levite
lampo

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 2,376
Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you all for your kind comments

Francisco
Fico

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 179
Reply with quote  #5 
How many fertile seeds are content in a single pollenized fig?
This is the average content, will be a few hundred seeds, i think.

Attached Images
jpeg 20170811_104916-1.jpg (175.93 KB, 20 views)

ferreirajpfonseca

Registered:
Posts: 7
Reply with quote  #6 
It looks amazing Francisco!

Please go to my topic ID: green fig I've updated it with new pictures and answers to your questions. It's on page 2. 

Cumprimentos, 
João Pedro
lampo

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 2,376
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fico
How many fertile seeds are content in a single pollenized fig? This is the average content, will be a few hundred seeds, i think.


On some smyrna types it may go well over a thousand.. big business !?
Some sellers even showing pictures of the fruit, the happy, naif buyer should expect when the dozen or so seeds germinate and become  trees.
Hope this has stopped now... I believe there will be Law to protect these buyers .


lampo

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 2,376
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreirajpfonseca
It looks amazing Francisco!

Please go to my topic ID: green fig I've updated it with new pictures and answers to your questions. It's on page 2. 

Cumprimentos, 
João Pedro


OK João Pedro. Did not notice your additional information.. sorry!
Have now posted acknowledgment and reply
On this Beb Branca if you interested I shall arrange a scion or two early 2018 so you may try it on your soils either rooting or grafting on an existing stock.
By the way, have you heard of the Caprifig on your area ??
cheers
Francisco

ferreirajpfonseca

Registered:
Posts: 7
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lampo


OK João Pedro. Did not notice your additional information.. sorry!
Have now posted acknowledgment and reply
On this Beb Branca if you interested I shall arrange a scion or two early 2018 so you may try it on your soils either rooting or grafting on an existing stock.
By the way, have you heard of the Caprifig on your area ??
cheers
Francisco



No problem Francisco, I've already replied to your questions and posted some more pictures.
It would be nice to have some other variety. I would certainly try to graft it to my "unknown" fig. We may even trade scion wood. How can I contact you in the future? I have not heard of that variety in particular, there are many fig trees in the area but people often only know if they are light color or dark color but I can try to find out. Is that Caprifig light or dark color?
I may ask someone with similar figs maybe they know the variety name. 

With kind regards,
João Pedro.
nelson20vt

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 1,858
Reply with quote  #10 
Wow Francisco your pictures make me want yo lick the screen lol. Those Bêbera branca figs look excellent.
__________________
Mississauga, ON, Canada Z5B/6A
lampo

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 2,376
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreirajpfonseca


No problem Francisco, I've already replied to your questions and posted some more pictures.
It would be nice to have some other variety. I would certainly try to graft it to my "unknown" fig. We may even trade scion wood. How can I contact you in the future? I have not heard of that variety in particular, there are many fig trees in the area but people often only know if they are light color or dark color but I can try to find out. Is that Caprifig light or dark color?
I may ask someone with similar figs maybe they know the variety name. 

With kind regards,
João Pedro.


OK J Pedro,
On another post there is information on my best judgment on the identification of your fig
Also sent you a PM with a few comments on the Caprifig.
It would be interesting to find out if this wild fig grows somewhere in your area.
Without much legwork have foud it close to Beja as well as on an old road between Evora and EvoraMonte
cheers
Francisco
lampo

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 2,376
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson20vt
Wow Francisco your pictures make me want yo lick the screen lol. Those Bêbera branca figs look excellent.


Hello Nelson .. thank you.
Hope you doing fine.
Right, they are quite good fruit and grow big.

cheers
Francisco

Fico

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 179
Reply with quote  #13 
More seeds than pulp in a half fig eaten by birds.
I noticed that birds prefer largest figs (not the best tasting) and discard the fruits from wild female trees.
I think that the spreading of these domesticated seeds in the wild by birds or other animals it's a good thing, they are adding new "blood" to the gene pool of wild fig population, if some of these seeds will be capable to grow and survive.
Blastophagas do their job but also birds, this is the nature.

Attached Images
jpeg 20170814_071707.jpg (214.75 KB, 15 views)

lampo

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 2,376
Reply with quote  #14 
Hi Fico, That's a good point.
Once in your fields Caprifigs grow naturally, I wonder if you have already spotted any edible- tasty figs - originated by the propagation of fertile seeds by birds,.. rodents,  humans ..?
The chances are very very small, probably less than one in a few thousands, but Am sure that somewhere,  a few would grow strong and ripen nice figs.

Francisco

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.